Discussion Forums
PowerPoint version problems
Last Post 01 May 2017 08:02 PM by SteveO. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative

--
02 Sep 2012 02:48 PM
    Despite the help file indicating otherwise, the PowerPoint clip has not worked with PowerPoint 2003 since SM ver. 3.5.

My question is will PowerPoint 2003 support ever be fixed are we going to have to update to Powerpoint 2007 to use this functionality? (It's fine if we do It would just be nice to know)

If PP 2003 will not be supported any more, can we update the documentation to reflext that. It would be much appreciated

Thanks,

~Kward
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Sep 2012 09:38 PM
    Hi Kward

I am a help file developer. I use Screen Monkey at my church and offered to help Oliver by maintaining the help file for Screen Monkey. I tried to bring it as current as I possibly could with the 3.7 release.

Can you be more specific about what does and doesn't work? I'd like to ensure that section is accurate.

Thanks... Rick

--
    05 Sep 2012 03:40 PM
    Also see this link for another thread on pretty much the same problem for SM 3.6.

Screen monkey does not recognize PowerPoint 2003 as a PowerPoint program. It acts as if PowerPoint is not installed on the computer. It will not allow PowerPoint files to be added to the show at all.

Unfortunately I'm not at the desktop we have 2003 installed on so I can't post the log files so I'll try to get those later but I do have a laptop that doesn't have MS Office installed on it at all I'm pretty sure it acts the same way and gives the same kind of error if not the same error.

Thanks for responding,

~Kward

--
    09 Sep 2012 08:14 PM
    Here's the error:
    An exception ocurred while trying to load ScreenMonkey.Plugin.Clips.Standard.PowerPointClip plugin! This could indicate a fault with the plugin.

Here's the log info:

Copied details

Event log XML
    Event log TXT

Error Log XML
    Error Log TXT

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.PowerPoint, Version=12.0.0.0" line.

I've looked it up and it seems like a programming thing as office 2003 uses PIA ver. 11, 2007 uses ver. 12 and 2010 uses ver. 14 which basically means unless there's a hack out there that allows office 2003 to use the PIA ver. 12 stuff, Oliver would need to fix and/or add in ver 11 functionality if that's possible.

But like I said before, I don't mind office 2003 not being supported in screen monkey anymore I just want to know so I can plan the upgrades at my church appropriately and make sure the documentation is correct so others won't be confused anymore as well.

~Kward
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Sep 2012 08:14 AM
    This is my fault, 2003 will not work with V3.7. The only version that will work properly with V3.7 is 2007.

I am looking at getting 2010 working as I have found a work around for the issues. It works to display the slides but crashes Power Point when you stop the clip so not fully working yet but further than I have got before. I will also look at adding 2003 back in.

--
    11 Sep 2012 09:57 PM
    Thanks for the information Oliver!

I really appreciate the response. It's a relief to hear PowerPoint 2003 support may be re-added and that progress is being made on PP 2010. Thanks for developing Screen monkey and I look forward to the updates in the next version of the software.

--
    08 Feb 2013 02:51 AM
    Is this still an issue? I am running a 32-bit Vista laptop with Screen Monkey 3.7 and PowerPoint 2003. I am unable to get Powerpoint presentations to work.

--
    08 Feb 2013 02:49 PM

In the meantime, you can use powerpoint the Magus way. Just start it in presenter mode and run screenmonkey on top of it. When you clear the screenmonkey layers, you are on powerpoint, otherwise screenmonkey is on top of it.

This way powerpoint works perfectly too, only dont forget to make the powerpoint presenter window the focus one. So after clicking the clear layers button to go to the PP, click once on the PP window to allow the presenter to use a clicker.

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2013 02:46 AM

LOL on "the Magus way". Seems I've developed a bit of a reputation! ;)

Just a heads up that if you are using PowerPoint 2010, there really isn't much need for presenting via PowerPoint. While I certainly use PPT to develop many of the slides I show, I will then present them and screen capture. Then use the screen captured images to present from Screen Monkey. Anything with animation I save out as a WMV and play the WMV via Screen Monkey.

Cheers... Rick :)

--
    24 Jan 2014 09:16 PM

Read many posts and still not clear on PowerPoint issue. I will be receiving the PPT very late before presentation. All my tests cause ScreenMonkey to crash. Looks like it is always loading. This will be a great product if I can get PPT and video to load easily.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2014 12:30 PM

I just tested 32-bit PowerPoint 2013 on Screen Monkey 3.6 on 64-bit Windows 7 SP1, and it worked fine. Well done Messrs Waits & Gates!

I also tried with the latest 3.8 beta 25, and that sort of worked - the whole PP app flashed open when starting the clip then disappeared, F1 didn't work to clear the clip (probably going to PP), and after closing the clip there was a PP dialog saying the file couldn't be saved.

--
    11 Aug 2015 10:38 PM
    Here's my situation:

I'm running Win 8.1 64-bit with PowerPoint 2013 and the latest Screen Monkey release (3.7). I seem to be able to get screen monkey to run PowerPoint presentations if I go through them and remove all transitions from the slides. If there are transitions, Screen Monkey just gets stuck endlessly looping the transitions. Unfortunately, removing transitions generally isn't an option for me.

I'm a high school theatre teacher, and my students and I are constantly having to run AV for assemblies, meetings, and various presentations in our auditorium. As part of this job, presenters will often hand me usb drives with their PowerPoint presentations mere minutes before they expect me to present them. So, I don't have the luxury of editing the presentation files.

I would just use the Magus way and PowerPoint to present, but our screen is too small for our projector. One of the things I love about Screen Monkey is that it allows me to adjust the size, location, and dimensions of what I'm projecting, using a display profile. Try as I might, I haven't been able to figure out how to do this in PowerPoint, and whenever I use PowerPoint, huge chunks of the image are lost.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I install an older version of Screen Monkey? Is it possible to run multiple versions off the same PC? Is there a way to get access to a Beta version?

-Thanks!

--
    15 Feb 2016 03:51 PM
    Did anyone ever come back with a version combination that works? I cant get 3.7 to work with any version, it wont advance the slides.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Oct 2016 10:34 PM
    We use Screen Monkey 3.6 with PowerPoint 2007, stable on Windows from 7 to 10 Anniversary Update. Animations of slide elements are hit and miss, so we don't use those; slide transitions are OK IIRC.

--
    01 May 2017 08:02 PM
    Oliver

Just install Windows 10 on new Lenovo p310 but having issues with Powerpoint not advancing the slides?

any suggestion would be appreciated

Also any news on Version 4? please

Regards

Steve
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Copyright 2017 by Oliver Waits